Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Favorite Tortellini Soup

Yesterday I went to see Kelly my brother-in-law the dentist/my ortho.  He added build ups to the
back of my teeth and so now I can't chew anything!  So it's the perfect excuse to make my favorite soup.
I actually do need an excuse because some of the kids do not prefer soup for dinner --but I love it!
I just wish I could chew a nice piece of crusty italian bread to go with it.  So for those non soup eaters
I also made pizzands.

This is also another one of my creative ways to use up more tomatoes from the garden.
I made this recipe my own by adding diced yams or sweet potatoes.  They make it so yummy!
                                
                                          Tortellini soup in a pumpkin mug.  The pizzands are just
                                          english muffins topped with Ragu, mozzerella, pepperoni
                                          and olives


Jenn's Tortellini Soup

First I brown 1 tube of italian sausage with a 1/4 cup of red onion
Then I add either 2 large 28 oz cans of stewed or diced tomatoes
however when I wanted to use up my garden tomatoes I used
about 10 diced fresh tomatoes.
I added 2 large cartons of chicken broth
then add vegetables of choice:
I used 2 yams diced
2 yellow zuchinni diced
1 Tbsp oregano
1 Tbsp basil
2 Tbsp Parsley
salt and pepper to taste
8 oz of frozen tortellini

In large soup pan, brown sausage and onions.  Drain the fat.  Add the chicken broth, and vegetables and spices.  Simmer for about 45 minutes, until the veggies are tender.  Add tortellini 5 to 10 minutes before serving and cook until tender, but not soggy.  Garnish each serving with fresh grated parmesan cheese.

One trick I use is to not add the tortellini to the soup because if there are left overs the tortellini will be soggy the next day.  So when its time to cook the tortellini I cook it in a metal collander that can be simmered on top of the soup.  This cooks the tortellini in the soup but I can then keep it separate to add to the soup for each serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment