Pages

Monday, April 9, 2012

Reflecting on the Truth of the Resurrection and Called to be a Zone Leader


Dear Mom,
I am saddened to hear of the news of Grandma Jackie passing away. It hasn't really hit me yet though that I won't see her again in this life. However, she was old and she has to be more happy now being with grandpa. I appreciated being able to hear of your experience with her as she passed on. She was an amazing woman and I carry around a key chain that she gave me as I have for my entire mission. It is a round gold looking coin that has a picture of the temple on it that says "Restoration of the Gospel" on one side and on the other side it says, "Oh ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind, and strength." I have cherished it my whole mission and only will more now.
It sounds like you had a great Easter however and it probably was a blessing to be able to reflect the truth of the resurrection in the light of Grandma's passing.
Well this week was a pretty crazy one. Last week during conference I got a phone call from the Assistants telling me that President Saylin wanted to have a meeting with me at 8pm on sunday night and it was imperitive that I didn't tell anyone where I was going. Well In Texas Houston South Mission language that can only mean one thing. President Saylin had a little interview with me and called me to be a zone leader. I was a little nervous because that's a lot of responsiblity and work but so far it's going well. We have 22 missionaries in our zone and we have the best zone in the mission. The Houston West Zone. I look forward to serving these great men and women of God.
So let's Wednesday was transfer meeting. The old zone leader area was in a place called Brazos but they moved the zl area to my area in Houston 1 South. My new companion is Elder Porras. He's an amazing missionary! He grew up in LA but his family now lives in Utah. His parents are from Mexico so he's fluent is spanish and I'm really excited for that. He's 23 years old but he's been out like 16 months now. We're tearing it up. It's so much fun. I mean I've loved all my companions but the last year or so I've had really young companions who didn't know spanish so I would have to carry all the lessons and stuff but with elder porras the transitions during teaching is just so smooth! It's great.
So pretty much being a zone leader means that you still have to do everything you used to do but in less time because you have 30 billion other things you have to do. But guess what? I have a fax machine. cool eh? but yes our time is very constricted.
For example on Thursday we had to do zone planning for the month and then we had to go and do a baptismal interview for Elder Cooley and Tonn. It was a pleasure interviewing their investigator. His name is Joseph and he's like 82. He's a very funny guy, I was laughing a lot during it.
By the time we were done with that it was almost five o clock and we still had to meet our goal of getting two lessons and 10 street contacts each. So we first went to see Esmeralda. She's so awesome but she's working on sunday mornings now because she's tryin to graduate from beauty school and she has some dumb thing. She says she's going to try and talk to her boss to get the morning off though.
Then we had a lesson with Emilio and his mom. It was really good but she likes to talk so we had to wrap it up quickly to make it home on time. But Emilio later told us that she wants to be baptized and that's why she's not letting emilio get baptized yet because she wants them to be baptized together. So that's good news. We still need to talk to her about it and see if that's true. Emilio is a trooper. He's just a little slow. I wish yall could meet him just to see what I mean.
We sort of dropped the ball with Angelica this week. We have to have an adult male with us to be able to teach a family if there isn't another male there and we never were able to get one out with us. However we're going to go tonight with a member so It's going to be good. One good thing is that Elder Porras and I ran into her husband whose name is Sergio and it turns out E Porras' dad and Sergio are from the same place in Mexico so he was excited to talk to us now too.
On Friday we had to go train Elder Drake, a new district leader. It was kind of werid training someone how to be a district leader becasue I was still trying to figure out how to do that when I became a zone leader but it went well. Then we had a pretty good day where we found some new investigators. i love being with Elder Porras because we preach the gospel dang it! We don't back down. We don't blible bash at all but we teach and testify with power and authority. It is an amazing feeling. You can feel the Holy Ghost flowing through you as you "speak with the tounge of angels."
Then Friday night we went on exchanges. Elder Porras went with Elder Cooley and I brought Elder Tonn with me. Oh by the way, this was Elder Tonn's third day in the field. I still remember when  I was new and going on my first zone leader exchange and just feeling so indimidated and like "Wow, this is the ZONE LEADER!" ha ha it's pretty funny to think about now. But Elder Tonn was pretty excited. He's a way funny kid. I felt bad that i didn't get to talk to him much at night though because Elder Porras had left me alone to do friday night reports where the zone leaders collect all the baptismal dates and excused miles and stuff so I was up a little late doing that.
But we had a good day on Saturday. I made Elder Tonn some breakfast and then we had five lessons! So I think he had a good experience. He'll be a great missionary because he has a very positive attitude.
On Sunday we had the investigator fireside that we had to plan all week. We have a fireside every month for investigators from both the spanish zones and this month we were in charge so we had to find speakers and all that. It was a hassle but it went really well. The spirit was very strong and I think a lot of the investigators who attended will have more desires to be baptized.
Ok well I need to go now I just realized. I love you! Have a great week. I haven't got your package yet but thats because I haven't had time to go to the mission office yet. Thanks in advanace though. love you
love,
elder soutas
On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 12:03 AM, <csoutas@aol.com> wrote:
Dear Jordan/Elder Soutas


Happy Easter!!!




I hope you had a great day today.  I am so thankful for our Savior and for his gift of Resurrection and Redemption.. especially as we are feeling the
loss of Grandma Jackie today.  I'm sure Dad told you, if you read his letter first, that yesterday was a very difficult day.  However, it was also a spiritual experience.  Dad and I quickly went to see Grandma since Grandpa Bob called us to tell us she was not going to make it much longer.
It's hard to put the experience into words but I can assure you that I could feel when her Spirit left and I believe Grandpa Timm was also there too.  Dad was able to hold her hand and help her during her last minutes.  I know she is happy with grandpa again.  We were a little worried about this news upsetting you, but please know that everyone here is at peace.  It was time for her to go and she really didn't have to suffer at all, which was a blessing.

What was your Easter Sunday like this year?  
I almost forgot, who is your new companion?  tell us about him     
How is Angelica doing this week.  How did the word of wisdom lesson go for her?

I feel bad that you have felt a little overwhelmed with all of the school stuff to think about.  I think everything is now taken care of.  Ben registered you for the classes you needed.   There was one class and a couple of labs you will need to have around 8 am.  But like you said, probably good to keep your mission habit of getting up earlier.  I know when I sleep longer than is needful, I actually don't feel as good.
Also Tony's mom  went down and put a deposit on that apartment.  so I will register you for that this week.  I think the guys so far will be you, Tony, Michael, Jeff and I think she said Steven.  They are still looking for one more.   


  We had a nice Easter Sabbath.  Ben was here for our Easter egg hunt and Breakfast and church, but then he had to go back to work ( Cannon Center dishwashing made him miss his last Easter home with us)   Dad gave a stirring testimony at the closing of Sacrament Meeting about his experience with grandma and the atonement and resurrection.
After church,  I made dinner for everyone, Grandparents and Kathy and Matt and kids.  Kelly and Bev are in California 
so now it's late, everyone is gone and the house is clean and quiet again so I guess I will get ready for bed.

I pray you will have the holy Spirit to guide you each day.  I pray that your investigators will choose to come to the waters of baptism.
I always pray that you will be happy and know how much we love you and how much our Heavenly Father loves you.

Love you forever, Mom






No comments:

Post a Comment