Pages

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Wilderness

This morning I was reading about Lehi and his family wandering in the wilderness.
I began to ponder the wildernesses I have been going through in my life

There was a time when scarcity of money was a big wilderness for us.
We obeyed the principles of tithing and the law of a generous fast offering.   Result: Blessings

There are times when I have struggled with relationships with my children.
I trusted in the promise of my Stake Presidency that if "I would do Family History Work I would have the hearts of my own children turn towards me.  If there are wounds in our family - It can
heal them"  (He also said family history work can also heal our spiritually dead family members.  It is a work of healing within families across generations)
I obeyed this and have seen this in my family and in my relationships with my children.  What a glorious blessing!

I've been in my own wilderness of physical pain and suffering.  Mental Anguish.  I have suffered anxiety attacks and fear.  I was in extreme physical pain when my Kidney was removed and that
recovery process.   I was blessed my the strengthening power of the atonement.  I remember how I would be in my bed in pain and focus on a picture of the Savior across the room.  That is how I coped with the pain.
I had severe morning sickness to the point of feeling forsaken.  It's hard to explain but I thought it would be easier to die than suffer it.  Again, I was strengthened and now look back thankful for these experiences.

An even harder journey is having to watch your children
suffer in their wilderness.  Anxiety is in our family genetic makeup
My kids have suffered with it more than most.  Because of my previous sufferings, I have somewhat been able to guide them
of course only with the Savior's grace.

We are going through the wilderness of other family members losing their way on the covenant path.  This brings us extreme anguish of soul.  Agency must be given.  We can only sit back and
watch and pray and hope for their return someday to their covenants.

We are all on a hard and difficult journey.  I testify as we stay on the covenant path through our
wilderness journey we will partake of the fruit of the tree of life.  This fruit, the atonement of  our Savior, Jesus Christ.  Will heal us and cleanse us.

"And thus we see that the commandments of God must be fulfilled.  And if it so be that the children of men keep the commandments of God he doth nourish them, and provide means whereby they can accomplish the thing which he has commanded them; wherefore, he did provide means for us while we did sojourn in the wilderness." (1 Nephi 17:3)




No comments:

Post a Comment