Pages

Monday, June 2, 2014

Mary and Martha

Martha, Martha thou art careful and troubled about many things  But one thing is needful;
And Mary hath chosen that Good Part






Today I feel like I'm just running around never quite accomplishing anything.  I want to focus.  I want to do good things.  My heart wants to chose that Good Part.

It's very symbolic to me personally that I am pondering on this story. 
 I am too often careful and troubled.     There is a line from a favorite poem I memorized when I was a very young mother
and I was teaching a class which I called "A table encircled with love - motherhood"----That gives word to my feelings.
(full poem below)


I watch my years go tumbling by
and I must use them better I
have yet so much to learn and do before I can return to you

The hour is late 
The night comes on 
My celestial self I would become
So, If royal robes I would obtain to wear as all Thy glories burst,  I'll need to do the laundry first"

My heart wants to stay focused on divine things.  I get easily distracted with unimportant things.
I need to find the balance.  I have remembered the words from our dear President Nielson's wife, Mashelle.  Chris and I were able to sit next to her several years ago at a wonderful Stake Bishop's Council at temple square.  She spoke and her words have always stayed with me.  "Eternity rests on our organizing our time wisely and properly.  Especially time for the scriptures."  
I distinctly remember how I could feel her love of the Book of Mormon.    I want to be like her.  I have tried to focus on those 
women who are truly like what I want to be.
I have a long long way to go, but sometimes I feel like heaven is
around me and I will do all I can to take part in this great work.

Today I will chose that good part

scriptures of the day:  
2Nephi 2:30  Lehi is speaking final words to his sons and concludes with "I have chosen the good part"

Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing, and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God; D&C 109:15


An Unfinished Woman

Here am I, Lord,
The dishes barely done and night long since fallen.
The children would not go to bed
And would not go and
Would not go -l
And now they are gone.
Gone to places of their own with children of their own
Who will not go to bed and will not go...
And I have taught them what I could and 
They have learned the things they would
And now they've gone their way alone to learn the rest most on their own.

And I remain, not half spent.
And I remain, not yet content,
So much to do, so much to learn,
So much to feel, so much to yearn.
My past mistakes make stepping stones,
Not millstones great around my neck but
Stones to guide my searching feet - 
And I must search; I'm incomplete.

I watch my years go tumbling by
And I must use them better, I
Have yet so much to learn and do
Before I can return to you

The hour is late.  The night comes on,
My celestial self I would become.
Ah, What wisdom thou gavest to mortal life -
I,
As sister, mother, daughter, wife -
In earthly roles have seen Thy face.
In my womanly life Thy heavenly place
Is taught through humble tasks and pain.
So, if royal robes I would obtain,
to wear as all Thy glories burst -
I'll need to do the laundry first!


No comments:

Post a Comment